The main objective of the IPSN is to act as an early warning system to recognise new and emerging pest and pathogen risks. It aims to do this by developing a network of both national and international partnerships between plant protection scientists and botanic gardens and arboreta around the world.
The IPSN will:
- seek and share examples of best practice;
- develop standardised methodologies for monitoring and surveying of damaging plant pests and pathogens;
- provide training materials to increase capability among member gardens;
- facilitate access to diagnostic support;
- develop databases in order to share and store information; and
- communicate scientific evidence with NPPOs.